Are you looking up how to install a replacement window? What if you need an awning? Awning windows are a type of window that is hinged at the top and swings out from the bottom. This type of window is often used in areas where there is a lot of rainfall, as it allows for better ventilation.
These windows can be either fixed or operable. This type of window also provides excellent ventilation, which is why it’s often used in coastal regions. Tilt-in awning windows are the most common type of operable awning windows, while fixed awning windows are more popular for replacement purposes.
When looking to replace an old or broken-down window with an awning window, you must think about the style and size of your replacement project carefully. The best time to install new windows is when building work isn’t necessary (usually during summer).
However, if you’re replacing broken-out windows due to storm damage then this may not be possible; either because there isn’t enough time or because construction is underway. Also, installing new windows requires removing the old window and trim, which may add to the cost of the project.
More About Awning Windows
Awning windows are a window that uses a vertical window as their main part. This type of window has been around for centuries and can be seen throughout various architectural styles all over the world.
These types of windows have a slider screen that moves up and down to either open or close the window, depending on what direction it is being pulled from.
- The size of these types of windows varies based on how much they have been opened to allow airflow into your home or building. To measure just how large this opening should be, you will need to take note measurements from each side where hinges would go.
Once those numbers are taken, subtract one inch from both sides which will give you a better idea of how large the window is.
- Awning windows are great for those who want to allow more airflow inside their home without letting too much light inside. These types of windows can also be found on patios and balconies, acting as a temporary wall at times when they are needed.
As the sun goes down, you will find that these windows will not be able to let in as much light due to the size and direction they face. Do you need to know how to measure window for replacement? When you hire a professional window replacement company, you no longer need to do anything but wait for the project to be done.
Advantages of Having Awning Windows
Awnings are not just for window replacement. They also provide great benefits if installed on your current windows! Here are some of the reasons why you should consider installing awnings on your existing windows:
- They allow in more natural light than most other window treatments,
- They’re less expensive than replacing or adding to your home’s exterior, and
- Many homeowners don’t realize how much their heating costs will be affected by their choice of window treatment.
There is no need to replace all your windows when an awning can do the trick!
Benefits of Installing New Awning Window
An awning window is a great way to reduce your energy bills. You’ll be able to stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer with an awning window. They also make exterior noise quieter and prevent drafts from coming in.
Take advantage of the benefits of an awning window by getting one installed in your home.
Keeps You Warmer in Winter and Cooler in Summer
An awning window faces out, so it allows more sunlight to enter your house during the winter months. It also gives you more airflow than having no window or one that faces another direction.
You’ll be able to keep the air conditioning system on lower while saving money on energy bills. The nice breeze provided by an awning window makes them perfect for sitting during the warm summer months.
They provide ventilation without allowing heat inside, so you’ll stay comfortable while saving money with lowered energy bills again.
Aesthetically Pleasing Exterior
An awning window has a unique look that will give your home some character. It is also a good way to show off your home’s exterior from the street.
Reduces Noise from the Outdoors
An awning window can block out exterior noise, which is ideal for those who live in busy areas or near loud streets. You’ll be able to get a good night’s sleep without any disturbances from the outside world.
Prevents Drafts from Entering Your Home
Awning windows are great at preventing drafts from coming in, so you’ll stay comfortable all year round. They’re perfect for people who live in cold climates, as they’ll keep the warm air indoors and the cold air out.
Window installation can be costly. Make sure to get at least three quotes from window installation companies to ensure you’re getting the best price. DO some research on the internet to see what the average cost of window installation is in your area.
Types of Awning Windows
Double Hung Awning Window
This type of window acts just like any other double-hung window would open and close, however, it has an extra feature that allows you to pull up or push down on an exterior part of the window which will open or close the window.
This is a great option for those who want to have a window that can easily be opened and closed without having to worry about someone being able to reach the window from the outside.
Projecting Awning Window
This type of window protrudes out from the wall it is installed on, which gives you more protection from rain and other weather conditions. These types of windows are often used in areas where there is a greater risk for bad weather, such as coastal areas or near mountains.
- One thing to note about these types of windows is that they will require additional space on the outside to be able to open and close them properly. If you are not able to provide that space, then this type of window might not be the best option for you.
- Another great feature about these windows is that they can often be opened while still in the closed position, which gives you more ventilation options while keeping the rain and other weather conditions out.
The Cost and Time it Takes for Window Installation
How much does window installation cost and how long does it take for the job to be completed?
Once you have chosen the type of awning window you would like to install, it is time to find a contractor to help with the installation process.
- Window installation costs can vary based on several different factors, such as the size and type of window being installed. To get an accurate estimate, it is best to contact a local contractor and ask for a quote.
- One thing to keep in mind is that most contractors will include the cost of removing the old window, which is most often required before installing a new one.
- It is also important to note that any additional costs or repairs needed for your home or building after the installation will be your responsibility. For example, if they are required to make changes to the outside to complete their work, they will most likely not cover these changes with their initial installation price.